Fondo Edifici di Culto
Department for civil liberties and immigration
Prefect Mario Morcone
The Ministry of the Interior's responsibilities in the field of civil rights protection are entrusted to the Department for civil liberties and immigration, including the following:
The Department is made up by the following Directorates:
Central Directorate for immigration and asylum policies
· Central Directorate for assistance to immigrants and asylum seekers ;
· Central Directorate for civil rights, citizenship and minorities ;
· Central Directorate for religions ;
· Central Directorate for the administration of F.E.C. (the ministry church owning fund);
· Central Directorate for general affairs and the management of equipment and financial and human resources ;
The Department for civil liberties and immigration is led by a Head of Department assisted by a Vice Head of Department acting as deputy and by a second Vice Head of Department, who is also in charge of the above-mentioned Central Directorate for immigration and asylum policies.
The Head of Department is entitled to delegate specific responsibilities to the Vice Heads, either temporarily or permanently.
The Department also includes the Bureau for the coordination of initiatives against racketeering and loan sharking and the Bureau for the coordination of initiatives in favour of mafia victims, both directly answerable to their respective Commissioners.
In case the post of Commissioner is assigned to a Prefect, the appointment is made on the basis of the list envisaged by article 3-bis of law-decree n. 345 dated 29th October 1991, turned into a law by means of law n. 410 dated 30th December 1991.
The Central Commission for the granting of refugee status, set up by presidential decree n. 136 dated 15th May 1990, is also part of the Department.
Organisation of functions and tasks of the Ministry prior to presidential decree n. 398 dated 7th September 2001
- General Directorate for assistance to entitled categories (refugees,
disabled persons, drug addicts, etc.);
- Central Office for border areas and ethnic minorities;
- General Directorate for religions and F.E.C.;
- Citizenship Service.